Brighton (03) 9593 2197  |   Canterbury (03) 9830 5600

Make an Appointment

  Brighton (03) 9593 2197  |   Canterbury (03) 9830 5600

What Does 375 Mean on Jewellery?

February 04, 2023

The best feature of jewellery is that it comes in many different forms. There are custom jewellery necklaces, rings, earrings, bracelets, midi-rings, nose rings, anklets, and much more. These pieces can be simple and dainty, or bold and flashy; they can be made purely of gold, or adorned in diamonds, sapphires, or a multitude of different stones. 

You may have noticed that some jewellery is stamped with the number 375–this is a type of quality classification. For example, If you own a gold necklace that is stamped with the number 375, this refers to the materials used to make the necklace. 375 means that the jewellery is nine carats and 37.5% pure gold.

Let’s for a moment consider how we classify diamonds. Diamonds are often purchased using the help of a diamond classification chart. This chart helps clients looking to purchase diamonds to understand the different types of cuts available, the breakdown of carats and cost, and the corresponding prices based on these classifications. Of course, the less colour a diamond has (the clearer it is) and the more carats it is, the higher the cost of the diamond. 

Think of the 375 marked on jewellery as a similar type of classification of quality. If a gold necklace is marked with 375, it is made of 37.5 percent pure gold–this now leaves in question what the rest of the necklace is made of if it is not pure gold. The remaining portion of the necklace is likely made of a mixture of different metals such as nickel, zinc, silver, or copper. These are metals that are not as desirable or valuable–they might reduce the value and the price of the necklace, but they also make it more durable as pure gold is soft.

A necklace that contains larger amounts of pure gold will have a higher carat count and often cost more. 

Consider Durability 

Jewellery that is stamped with 375 is often classified as ‘hard’ on the Mohs Scale of Hardness and is often considered to be durable. If you are looking for something even more durable and higher in purity, it is worth looking into jewellery stamped with 750. 

Jewellery stamped with 750 is 75% pure; the remaining 25% will still be composed of other metals, but the higher percentage of gold would allow the piece to be more durable and more expensive. Keep in mind that any jewellery composed of 100% pure gold is highly prone to damage. Pure gold is too soft to be used on its own in jewellery as it can be very easily bent and scratched.  

If you are unsure about the percentage of gold purity you want in your jewellery or engagement ring, give us a call. The specialists at Holloway Diamonds are ready to help you find or create the jewellery of your dreams.

Looking for information on how to identify a raw diamond or what permanent jewellery is? We’ve got you covered with our latest posts!

You May Also Like